Industrial Control Systems Security
- Industrial control systems include technologies such as data monitoring and data acquisition (SCADA) and distributed control systems (DCS), which are at the core of day-to-day operations in chemical processing, oil and gas production infrastructure and other industries.
- These programs include rail switches, SCADA monitors, and programmable logic controllers (PLCs). Infrastructure organizations that are critical to the economy and national security use similar technologies, from banking data centers to power grids and rail transportation.
- Many of these systems are increasingly connected to IT networks, exposing them to cyberattacks.
- IT and OT technology is a custom combination of technology, information, and consulting services from cybersecurity experts that can enable industrial and manufacturing organizations to identify hazards and actively reduce threats. We provide a comprehensive, non-invasive security solution for your entire IT and operational technology (OT).
Our offensive team has extensive experience and knowledge of control systems and is familiar with the ICS and OT space, our experts who are familiar with Threat Intelligence and have unparalleled knowledge of attackers behavior, perform advanced security tests and help you identify and restrain threats in industrial networks.
- the Air-Gap network due to its separation from the World Wide Web, has its own range of attacks, which are widespread and dangerous, attacks based on Physical Media, Acoustic Electromagnetic, Magnetic, Electric, Optical and Thermal, which has greatly increased the cyber risks to industrial control systems. These attacks are implemented on the basis of industrial and military networks and have a special secrecy.
- Human factors are also the driving force behind Physical Media attacks, so informing human resources in the field of cybersecurity will be a principle. Also, if the hardware used is not in the right structure, they can form the factors of forming an attack scenario.
- An industrial cyberattack always takes advantage of zero and unpatched day vulnerabilities and this exploitation makes the attack much stronger and better, so the security of the endpoints is one of the main factors of cyber defense, so red team experts tries to identify and highlight the weaknesses and binary vulnerabilities of endpoints.
- In addition to the vulnerabilities of the operating system, desktop software will always be monitored dynamically and statically, also if devices used in the network and their communication protocols, have zero-day vulnerabilities, they can inflict irreparable damage on industrial facilities.
In the first step, the IT and OT architecture of the industrial complex should be thoroughly studied and visualized. Software and management systems, communication protocols and Programmable logic controller (PLC) should also be examined and monitored so targeted penetration tests are implemented on them in terms of cybersecurity and vulnerable areas are identified, in which all communication arrangements and connected devices should be identified and examined under a magnifying glass.
Vulnerability Assessment of Devices and Applications
Assess Network Vulnerabilities
The evaluation of the communication network of industrial spaces alone has a list of vulnerabilities that must be thoroughly investigated. For example, in the architecture of Air-Gap networks, there are always unique scenarios and threats that must be addressed separately. Communication protocols that are constantly interacting with sensors and operating devices must also be fully inspected for cybersecurity.
Industrial Penetration Testing
In industrial penetration testing, the team of experts always try to examine all vulnerabilities in two methods, black box and white box. Here, the focus is on detecting vulnerabilities, not evaluating them. In this regard, the penetration testing process provides more comprehensive and complete vulnerability detection that allows all devices and operating systems, including IoT devices, to be tested.
Red Team Simulation
But the highest level of cybersecurity assessment of industrial complexes can be considered as red team simulation, the red team always tries to fully implement the operational method of all cyberattack teams that have ever attacked industrial complexes, and Makes the problem areas appear and has suitable conditions for the attacker, One of these simulations is the Stuxnet industrial cyberattack.